So I’m guessing that you’ve googled it and found yourself here, or you are pregnant and preparing should the occasion arrive. First of all, don’t panic. Chances are it’s nothing. What is actually wrong, try to take your worry out of the situation and write down what the core issues are.
Here are some things you need to call your midwife for now. Call your hospital’s 24 hour number for any of the following symptoms:
- Headaches, visual disturbances (like flashing lights in your eyes or floaters).
- Swelling on your hands, feet and face (feet get swollen routinely in pregnancy, so don’t panic if you do get “cankles” per se. I would call to be checked though).
- Persistent itching on the palms of your hands and soles of your feet.
- If you think your waters may have broken (put a thick sanitary pad on and call the hospital).
- If you think you’re in labour with contractions lasting around 60 seconds coming every 4-5 minutes. Or if you have more than 5 contractions in an hour if you are less than 37 weeks pregnant.
- If you have any bleeding (from down below).
- If you have any trauma to your bump.
- If your baby is moving less than you are used to if you are over 26 weeks pregnant.
Lastly and most importantly…
- If you are worried about ANYTHING with you or your baby. A phone call and reassurance costs very little.
With every circumstance, remember not to panic. Google can be your best and worst friend. I had a headache last week, I read I’d got a major brain tumour and had only days to live… turns out, I’ve got sinusitis, paracetamol did the trick!
If you fancy leaving comment, please do, they always make my day!